I am taking a scientific approach, so part 1 is procrastination :-)
EDIT: In fact I am now close to the end of part two: holiday in Thailand. But immediately after return (and by immediately I mean after usual cold I am going to catch because of 40 degrees of Celsius temperature difference and - at least - a stroke because of returning to work) I am going to try it. At least this is my New Year's resolution. And I - as you - take these resolutions very seriously.
Happy New Year 2012! Or 2555, if you're in Thailand. Or Year of the Dragon, if you're Chinese.
In one of my previous posts I mentioned Play! framework. I'm now working with it almost exclusively, all of my non Notes work is in Java and when I am not dealing with SOAP web services or Android, I use Play framework. But it is not what I want to tell you about this time. It is MongoDB. It could be easily used in Play application using play-morphia plugin that uses Morphia project to map MongoDB to JPA. But again this is not what I want to talk about - although it is also very interesting :-)
After installing 8.5.3 and a new release of Extension Library I started to play with the Mobile controls included in it. It was originally a separate project on OpenNTF but now the controls are part of library itself. So you need 8.5.3 server (with extlib installed on it) to run apps using these controls. Thanks to new updateSite.ntf included with 8.5.3 it is now far more easier to deploy ExtLib to your server.
After upgrading Notes Client on Linux to 8.5.3 (it is in fact related to update of embedded sametime to 8.5.1) I started to get an error message "Unable to initialize Computer, and it can't be used at this time. Processed unsuccessful response: null for: REGISTER..." and then there were some details about the connection. Quick Goggle search helped: How to suppress SIP registration failures in the Sametime 8.5x client
Just a quick addendum to previous post. MessageContext is available in 8.5.3 gold version too, although I did not find any documentation on it in Help, in Release Notes and in fix list database.
So this is probably "let's uncomment this and don't tell anyone" kind of fix :-)
But thanks a lot for it!
In 8.5.2 you can not get handle of SOAP Header in web service provider. According to Elena Neroslavskaya one can somehow extract the generated Axis code base and make the changes there. Definitely not an option for me: I do not want to extract some %%webservice.jar%% files attached to web service provider design element, make changes to files inside it and then put it back.
We have been using Trac for couple of years and until recently it suited our needs just fine.
But with move to Git version control system I started to look for something else. Although Trac supports Git: there is a plugin for it, but I have failed to install it when I tried that year or so ago. It needed different Python version than we had on our development server. According to Trac website the plugin is working ok, so there is no need to abandon Trac if you are happy with it.
I fell in love with Play framework.
That is really cool piece of software and it is fun to work with. Recommended. We are currently using it in couple of projects and so far it saved us a fair amount of time.
And new Eclipse (Indigo) has arrived to the Internets :-)
Also Lotus Notes/Domino 8.5.2 FP3 is out with some annoyng bugs fixed. And it seems to be a bit faster.
Recently friend of mine asked me for help with an XPages application and one of the "problems" we had was validating user inputs.
We needed to make sure that user enters something in one of the two fields. My first thought was "ok, it's going to be a simple xp:validateExpression checking for non empty string and returning true". But after giving it one more thought, I ended up with "just make one of the fields required, if the other one is empty"
As Git becomes available as a VCS for Domino Designer (thanks to Nathan T. Freeman for contributing EGit plugin compatible with it), I can start using the same workflow for developing/releasing/hotfixing as I use with Java and Drupal development.
I'm pretty comfortable with gitflow way of doing these tasks, based on this branching model. And there is also git-flow-completion - a perfect companion for it.