For me the end of the summer means increased number of projects I'm involved in. To finish all of them until the end of the year - that is something I've never managed to achieve. This year seems to be a bit different. Hopefully.
Our team was working hard to make it happen. All other members were also presenting, which I can only admire. I can not imagine myself doing all that work AND preparing for the session(s) as well. Let alone being able to deliver it.
In the beginning of this week I've attended the best European "Lotus related" conference called now Engage, up until last year named BLUG.
For the first time it has taken place outside of Belgium in a nice city called Breda located one hour (by fast train) from Amsterdam. Venue was very also interesting - Chassé Theater.
Tomorrow morning I'll be heading to the airport to catch flight to Amsterdam and then via train to Breda to attend ENGAGE conference (it used to be called BLUG). I'm always looking forward to being there. I hope to meet a lot of old friends and even more new ones. I persuaded a couple of Lotus-positive friends to come this year, so be prepared for more Czech geeks :-)
I finally had some time to try new "experimental" feature that has been added to IBM Notes in 9.0.1 release. And it is the ability to automatically take repository containing so called on-disk project and build NSF out of it. Which is something you probably do daily, but you have to do it manually in Designer.
This year's last digit is going to be the first digit of my age. And that makes me think a lot. Because I always considered age as something not important. I have friends of all ages and have never really cared about how old is a person I'm dealing with. But since my very good friend died 5 years ago and my father died nearly 2 years ago, I started to be aware of age a bit.
Twitter conversation about version control has brought me to the debate about .git folder appearing in NSF file and how to avoid having it there.
I remember seeing one NSF file with .git folder in it a while ago and I've deleted it from NSF without any consequences. NSF is still fine, git repository it is connected to as well. But Cameron Gregor (and probably Sean Cull too) had different experience.
I am writing this at Brussels airport on Sunday afternoon waiting for evening flight back to Prague. Since Wednesday when we came to Leuven to attend BLUG 2013, weather got really bad and although we have March 24 whole Brussels and Antwerpen (and I am sure more other places) are covered by snow and it is freezing out there. Yet even this really unpleasant ending could not spoil great feeling I have about this year's BLUG. In fact all previous BLUGs as well. This was my third.
Another stupid mistake has taken a lot of my time last week. I developed a small library to provide function(s) to move attachments from rich text fields to separate db (nsf or some other). This function was supposed to be part of bigger process, so saving of document being processed was meant to happen in other code. That is why I had not tested what doc.save() would do. My tests were just checking destination db for created records containing moved files.
I was developing very simple XPages component recently and because it was basically loop through a list of field names (and the task was to show something for each of them) I have used repeat control and inside of it there was custom control with properties such as fieldName (String), label (String), isRequired (boolean) and so on. In the custom control I was binding fileDownload and fileUpload controls (based on read/edit mode) to document field via EL as "document1[compositeData.fieldName]" where document1 is data source defined in XPage that "calls" this custom control.